For My People
By Arianna Owens
For my people
The ones who traveled overseas from Norway
The ones who settled in a new land
The ones who knew nobody but created somebody
The ones that I long to know
The Norwegian in me longs to one day see the world.
For my people
Who made us strong and confident
The ones who traveled on slave ships from Africa to down south North America
The ones who suffered every beating and racist look
The ones who withstood every segregated place with dignity
For the African American I have in me
For my people
The ones who have conquered a great deal of hardship
The ones who have worked for many generations for what they believe in
The ones who risked their lives to save others
This is for the Caucasian I have within
For my people
All cultures and races
For my people
The ones who made my history
I touch the ones around me and instantly feel an immediate connection
For my people
The ones who made me strong
If you could taste history, it would be bitter sweet
For my people
I say, with all my heart, thank you.
No comments:
Post a Comment