Wednesday, October 10, 2012

My Identity,Culture, and Experiences/Understanding the Novel Feed

My Identity,Culture, and Experiences/Understanding the Novel Feed

I am a 16 year old girl. I live and have lived in South Minneapolis, Minnesota all my life. All my life i have been attached to technology. When I was little, we had a T.V., computer, radio, and a land line phone. As I grew up, the technology level increased in my house. We still had a T.V. but a new improved high tech version of it. We had a new computer and a better radio. A few years later, my mom got a cell phone. I got one a few years after her.  Then, iPods were invented and I got my 1st one in 2008. Now my family has a high tech flat screen T.V., a laptop PC computer, at least five radios, two iPods, and two cell phones, along with two iPod speaker docks. I am used to technology all around me by now, its just apart of my regular day life.

 In the novel Feed, the main character Titus is a teenager who has a lot of the same likes that teenagers do nowdays. I think this is why I could relate more to him while I was reading. Titus was a typical teenager who got into fights with his parents and acted like he hated his brother. He loved messing around with his friends; doing stupid stuff with them."..Unit! you are so--!" And then they would be all big laughing and I felt like a complete bonesprocket for trying to sleep when there was fun"(Pg. 6). He was quick to fall in love and loved typical relationships, like the one with Violet. He liked music, surfing the Feed, and going mal. "...is this malfunction?"(Pg. 86). I think the author made Titus this way to make sure that the reader got the teenager stand point on life, during that time period. I totally could relate to him with everything, except for is experiences about going mal and having to deal with Violet's trauma/ what happens with her and how it affects their relationship.

 In the novel,the aspects of the futuristic societies language and translations of words was very hard to comprehend when I read this book. The language is very very different than what I am used to so it was hard to determine and understand what I was actually reading. Readers just have to get used to the language used and try to figure the words out based on context clues. The author substituted words like friend for "unit" and getting drunk for "going mal" meaning malfunctioning the feed. Even though these different words made it difficult to understand the book, it did give me a better standpoint as to where the author thinks our society is coming to and how it will be different.
(472 words)


No comments:

Post a Comment